Chairman's letter re Coronavirus 18.3.2020.
18 Mar 2020
Posted by: Sarah Cross
Yesterday the government announced a range of enhanced measures to deal with the Corona Virus pandemic. This afternoon the Board met in an emergency session to decide how Eaton Golf Club should respond.
Mark Allen, Rob Ransome and Steve Warren were also in attendance.
The Board’s priority is to safeguard the health and wellbeing of our members and staff at this difficult time. We are aware that many of our members fall into the vulnerable category and we have taken note of the guidance issued by Golf’s governing bodies and the NHS.
We are witnessing an unprecedented medical and economic emergency across the world and there is every possibility that even more stringent measures may have to be put in place as the crisis deepens. This is therefore a rapidly changing scene and we will aim to keep members informed as and when new guidance is issued.
The Board unanimously decided that the following measures would be effective from 0700 Hrs tomorrow, 18 March 2020:
Until directed otherwise, the course will remain open. Please note the following points:
- Bunker rakes will be removed. The Greenstaff will rake bunkers each morning and periodically during the day. Meanwhile please restore bunkers as best you can, using your club/feet.
- Please handle only your own golf balls.
- Putt with the pin in.
- Avoid handshakes and hugs and follow advice on hand hygiene.
Most importantly, please do not come to the course if you feel unwell or display any of the symptoms detailed in the NHS website NHS
- The clubhouse will be closed, but the changing rooms and lavatories will remain open. Please do not congregate in these areas or use them to administer draws for swindles etc.
- The areas that are open will be subject to enhanced cleaning.
- The half way house will be open from 10am to 3pm for hot drinks and sandwiches.
- The club’s social programme has been suspended until further notice.
- Society bookings have been cancelled, initially until 30th April.
- No further Private functions or Wakes will be booked.
- The pro shop will be open between 10 am and 3 pm (Earlier on competition days).
- The Swing Centre will be shut and lessons conducted outdoors.
- Please respect the social distancing required in this area with a maximum of 4 people in the shop at any one time.
The Friendship Cup scheduled for 28th March has been cancelled. We await guidance from County about their matches. All club friendly, Vets and mixed matches up until the 30th April will be cancelled and future matches reviewed on a rolling monthly basis. We hope to be able to stage most of our other competitions and the Competitions Director will advise members of our detailed plans in the near future.
The Board appreciates that these are unprecedented and painful announcements to make, but all clubs will face the same challenge. Clearly the loss of income from visitors and our own social programme will hit us hard financially. It is the Board’s intention to look after our staff and members as best we can and still have a viable Eaton Golf Club when we are through this crisis. I hope that we can rely on the full support of all members to help us achieve this aim.
Chairman Eaton Golf Club